Considering Figurative Language

    Everybody remembers their high school English class and having to write essays about the figurative language used in whatever book you were currently reading. I remember complaining whenever my teachers would talk about symbolism, because how do you know that's actually what the author meant? What if they didn't even mean anything by it? What if the apple is just an apple?

    Today, I'd like to destroy your dreams by telling you that an apple is not just an apple. 

    It wasn't until I started taking writing seriously that I realized how much fun figurative language can be. It can be used symbolically, to foreshadow, and to enrich the story itself. But be careful not to overuse it. If your entire manuscript is figurative language on top of figurative language, it can become confusing and difficult to read.

    My personal favorite form of figurative language to use is metaphors. Metaphors can easily be turned into a symbol that carries on throughout your story. For example, in my published novel, Murder on Stark Street, one character spills red wine all over the protagonist's white shirt. This represents and foreshadows the bloodshed that is soon to come. But metaphors don't have to be so complex. You can simply say something like, "She was the fox of the group" to convey that this particular character is sly and a bit of a trickster. 

    Another favorite of mine is personification. It's like a sprinkle of glitter on top of an already beautiful piece of artwork. Consider the phrase: "The flowers blew in the wind" compared to "The flowers danced in the wind." The second option (the personified version) is much more interesting and paints a prettier picture. 

    "Paints a prettier picture" is an example of alliteration. While it is primarily used in poetry, it can also be fun to throw into your prose. It tickles the brain and spices up your text a little bit. Especially if used in dialogue, it makes your writing much more interesting. 

    Ultimately, the amount of figurative language and complexity will depend on the kind of story you're writing. If you want to convey a deeper meaning, throwing in some of flowery language can encourage your readers to think more deeply to come to whatever conclusion you want them to come to. If you want a straight forward go-lucky fairy-tale, a little bit of figurative language can help to spruce things up. It's truly up to the writers discretion. Be as vague, detailed, or confusing as you want, but only if it makes sense to your story. Figurative language is a great way to engage your readers, and you, the writer, get to have a little fun along the way.

Comments

  1. I think that its so cool that you have a book published. I have to agree with you that metaphors are one of my favorite types of figurative language as well. In my creative writing class we add metaphors into every one of our writing pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I never took writing seriously but I loved reading. Whether it was The Giver, The Outsiders, The Lord of the Flies. I would annotate the heck out of my books. Yellow meant interesting. I would circle words I didn't know and would write the definition in any open space I could find. I would star important things! I would underline metaphors, similes', alliterations. If I am being completely honest if I can't figure of what write I use ai to generate ideas. I have to have a prompt. I have to brainstorm with ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Figurative language was my favorite thing to study in my grade school and high school classes. I loved trying to figure out the clever ways authors said something without directly saying it. I think my favorite use of figurative language pops up in some of my favorite artists’ songs. It has always been so fun and thought-provoking to go through and analyze lyrics to fully understand what a piece of music is trying to say!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Starting Your Story: The Outline

The Writer's Nightmare: Conquering a Blank Page

Your Story's Firsts